[time-nuts] Buffer amplifier, OP Amp, vs MMIC, vs discrete?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 3 22:26:35 UTC 2020

Hi

With many (but not all) of the MMIC’s the phase noise / ADEV degrades more than a
bit as you drive them near their “rated” output. Since you don’t *need* a lot of gain in
a distribution amp, their high(er) gain is of no benefit. If you pad them on the input,
noise figure degrades. If you pad them (say by 10 or 20 db) on the output, you burn
a lot of power in that pad.

That’s the short list … there are a few other issues as well.

Bob