[time-nuts] PRS-10 PPS output

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Apr 4 18:08:02 UTC 2020

Hi

Pulling the output of a normal CMOS gate to ground through a small
resistor is not generally a good idea. That’s what an attenuator or far
end termination of the coax is doing. It’s not specifically outlawed in the
spec, but it’s still not what they are designed to do. Also the output level
is going to be pretty wimpy run through an attenuator.

One way to “fix” the problem is with a 50 ohm series resistor at the source
end. That only works to the degree that the output impedance of the gate
is very low when in saturation. How true this is …. that depends.

A far better approach is to buffer the output through something like a
set of 2, 3, or 4 NC7SZ125’s (or similar) in parallel. The output from
something like that has much higher drive capability than a single gate
output. Source termination with a single 50 ohm or with 100, 150, or 200
ohms on each gate works pretty well in this case.

(If you want to dig further into the details of “why source termination?”
there are several posts from Said back about 4 or 5 years ago).

You do have the problem of not knowing what the “far end” is expecting.
If it has a 50 ohm load *and* is looking for a 5V logic signal …. source
termination isn’t going to work with normal logic gates doing the drive
end of things. You would need a high speed gate that is happy with a
10V supply to do that …..

Unfortunately, there *is* gear out there that terminates a PPS with a
50 ohm load *and* expects some sort of logic level. Is it set up for 1.2V,
1.65V, 2.5V …. ???? Often this is not very well documented.

If you *do* set up to “straight drive” a 50 ohm end termination to 5V in order
to do right by a 2.5V logic level: Spend some time looking at the power
distribution approach on your board. That’s a 0.1A 10 us wide pulse you
are thumping onto the supply rail…..

Bob