[time-nuts] PRS-10 PPS output

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 16:42:22 UTC 2020

On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 12:00:02 -0400, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 189, Issue 9
[snip]

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 14:08:02 -0400
> From: Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] PRS-10 PPS output
>
> Hi
>
> Pulling the output of a normal CMOS gate to ground through a small
> resistor is not generally a good idea. That?s what an attenuator or far
> end termination of the coax is doing. It?s not specifically outlawed in the
> spec, but it's still not what they are designed to do. Also the output level
> is going to be pretty wimpy run through an attenuator.
>
> One way to 'fix' the problem is with a 50 ohm series resistor at the source
> end. That only works to the degree that the output impedance of the gate
> is very low when in saturation. How true this is?. that depends.

Well, the coax 1PPS outputs I've had to deal with are all claim in
their datasheets to be able to drive a 50-ohm load, so I didn't worry
about overloading the output circuitry with a standard attenuator.
Their source impedance seemed to be closer to 200 ohms, as I recall.

The PRS-10 datasheet (page 59) says:  "The LOCK/1PPS function may be
configured via RS-232. The factory default is a low level to indicate
lock, with a 10μs pulse to +5V at 1PPS, with the leading edge being
defined as the 1PPS timing reference. This BNC output is a CMOS logic
output via a 1kΩ resistor."

So, a 50-ohm load (or even a dead short) should not hurt anything.  And
we can predict the peak voltage over a 50-ohm load driving a 50-ohm
coax is 5(25/1000)= 0.125 Vpeak.

For the TTL outputs in the days of yore, the series 50-ohm resistor was
standard practice.

Joe Gwinn

Context: