[time-nuts] OCXO and fluctuations after EFC adjustment

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Apr 11 21:01:51 UTC 2020

> That caught my attention.  Could you please say more.
>
> A DDS introduces spurs.  They move around as you change the adjustment
> parameters.
>
> Are the spurs small enough that they are not a problem with most applications?
>   What applications do/don't get along with spurs?
>
> What do spurs look like on an ADEV plot?
>
> I think of a "DDS on a chip" as having a VCO/PLL up to some fairly high
> frequency and some digital logic that brings that down to the target
> frequency.  The high frequency means that the time step from N to N+1 cycles
> is smaller.  But VCOs are noisy relative to a good crystal.  So in addition to
> spurs, I'd expect more phase noise.
>
> Am I on the right track?  What should I have asked?

The last part of your post is way off track.  The first "D" in DDS
stands for direct.  PLL's are INdirect.  An architecture I
frequently see and do not recommend is to try to "clean up" a
DDS by using it to phase lock a VCXO.  As you say, the VCXO, etc
adds noise.  And it doesn't clean up close in spurs within
the loop bandwidth.

I presented a paper at FCS in 1995 or 1996 about combining
a DDS with a "direct synthesizer" derived from the famous
HP5100 architecture.  This multi stage system reduces DDS spurs
by 20 dB or so per stage.

The 5071A has a DDS designed from scratch by the brilliant
physicist Robin Giffard that produced a very clean spectrum.
He went beyond the commercial DDS's.

Keysight sells a very high end Arbitrary Waveform Generator
that is essentially a DDS that goes up to 5 or 10 GHz.  It
is all on one custom chip.  When I retired, they were still
planning to add an 8 GHz whispering gallery oscillator as
a time base.  BTW, that oscillator did have EFC so it could
be locked to a 10 MHz reference.  However, the way it worked
was that they changed the temperature of the resonator oven.
So it doesn't break my "rule".

Rick