[time-nuts] OCXO and fluctuations after EFC adjustment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 12 12:56:08 UTC 2020

Hi

Well…..

Once upon a time, there was a design review on a space part. There
was an tantalum  cap used in a couple of places in the design. It was
a 50V part and running at 12V.

We got dinged for it. Turns out if you over derate electrolytics (of any sort)
there is a failure mechanism that creeps in.

How was that discovered? Well NASA (or the military or ….)  sponsored
severals studies at several universities. They did a bunch of testing and
published a number of papers on the topic. Quick summary: "tested
a whole bunch and these failed".

A good librarian with a week or two on their hands probably can track
them down. I very much doubt you can find them outside a pay wall.

Bob