[time-nuts] Phase measurement of my GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 13 23:37:33 UTC 2020

Hi

The gotcha with using a conventional counter (as opposed to a time tagger)
is that you never know when things are going to “slip” past each other. When they
do you get a major burp in your data. Bill’s setup is running a time tagger ….

( = It runs an internal time count, each edge gets “labeled” with a precise time
stamp that is good to nanoseconds or picoseconds. A Time Interval Counter
simply measures the time between edges. That sounds like the same thing, but
it’s not quite ….)

> On Apr 13, 2020, at 6:11 PM, Tobias Pluess <tpluess at ieee.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob
>
> Riley suggests to use a single TIC
>
> http://wriley.com/A%20Small%20DMTD%20System.pdf
>
> when you look at the block diagram Fig. 4, you can see that one TIC allows
> to compare two oscillators.
> I don't know exactly how, though :-)

The gotcha with using a conventional counter (as opposed to a time tagger)
is that you never know when things are going to “slip” past each other. When they
do you get a major burp in your data. Bill’s setup is running a time tagger ….

> OK and I see your point on the 8663. I will try to use another reference!
> I definitely didn't keep mine on for a long time. I didn't use the signal
> generator for a while now, so it was unplugged for a few months. I assume
> that's far from optimal for the 10811's stability.

Best approach is to mount your reference off on it’s own and just power it. That way
you don’t wear out all the guts of a fancy piece of gear.

Bob