[time-nuts] Phase measurement of my GPSDO

Tobias Pluess tpluess at ieee.org
Tue Apr 14 15:01:05 UTC 2020

Hi Bob

yes I totally agree, you can save a lot of space by having those USB boxes
for almost every measurement.
However I am happy that we have at work the "old school stuff" (by which I
don't mean we have old equipment, actually it is pretty modern) because in
my opinion the user experience is much better if you have buttons to press
and knobs to rotate. I don't like the scopes where you have to set up
everything via touchscreen, and I don't like the USB scopes. Therefore I am
actually quite happy with the kind of equipment that sits in its own box,
the disadvantage is that it needs space. However I think this is only a
concern for the homelab, where space is limited. A place where they don't
have the space to install a proper network analyzer is perhaps a bit ...
funny, I'd say. But for home usage you're probably right. However many of
the USB things have lots of drawbacks the "pro" equipment doesn't have. But
perhaps we are wandering off the subject a bit now :-)

> Lots of projects started and never fully completed. I have piles and
piles of them ….

yeah I know. I have them as well. Not piles, but certainly quite a few. But
I have also piles of stuff I have finished. For instance from time to time
I try to manufacture RF waveguide components like directional couplers and
bandpass filters and the like. While I don't actually need them I simply
want to see whether I could make them and how precise it is possible. (it
is possible quite accurately up to perhaps 80GHz, above that precision
becomes an issue). And as you know especially the waveguide stuff is bulky
:-) I even once made my own N connectors just to see whether it was
possible. (it is, as well. When gold plated or at least polished, they look
very similar to the commercial ones.)

But this is definitely seriously off-topic ;-) To ask a back-to-topic
question: you said you wrote your own programs to extract ADEV from
timetagged data. Could you give a hint on how you "massage" (as you said)
the data from the time tagger to get proper phase info and ADEV?

Tobias