[time-nuts] Phase measurement of my GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Apr 14 12:50:45 UTC 2020

Hi

The whole “volume of clutter” on the desk / bench / around the lab / basement
is one of the many drivers getting me to move over to some of the more
modern USB based measurement gear. You can swap out 400 lb of cranky
(but useful )  gear from the 1960’s for what would fit in a small backpack.

Even at work, the same sort of drivers applied. A USB based box was something
that you could have a dozen of out on many benches. The big beast setup hulked
away on it’s own bench over in the corner. A lot more got done with the little boxes.

There are a lot of grades of USB gear. I’m not suggesting that my $100 network
analyzer competes for accuracy with a shiny new R&S or Keysight device. It just
*might* do as good a job as the broken down pile of gear from 1968 though. For
a bit more than $100, I could get a better USB version ….

=====

Can you build your own TICC / scope / network analyzer / PC / television?
Sure you can. It’s just parts put together in this or that fashion. Getting one to the
point that it measures up with what you can buy will take a while (likely a couple
of passes).

Your time is “free" since this is a hobby. Does that really include 40 hours a week
for a year to get this or that pass done? At least to me … nope. How about the lab
full of application specific test gear to get this piece of gear debugged *before* you
can use it ? Hmmm….

Simply getting the board laid out is the easy part of any of this. On a normal
product design, the work to get to that point is maybe 10% of the effort put in
to get the job done. A home project may be even more lopsided since it likely
is the first time you have done this or that.

Lots of twists and turns. Lots of projects started and never fully completed.
I have piles and piles of them ….

Bob