[time-nuts] Using speaker / earphone for PPS testing (not a question)

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 02:25:30 UTC 2020

Maybe everyone but I knew, but I just did this and found it useful.
1 pps signal from some GPS are notoriously narrow and difficult to sync on and see on scopes.  LED will barely light if some kind of stretcher is not used.  If your purpose is ONLY to see if it's there or not, hook up a small speaker, earphone, amplified or not, and you can hear the tick-tick sound.

I like DIYing and many times, I wonder if pps distribution circuit is working.  I can tell a very short pulse that will barely register on LED is clearly audible.
I thought I'd share.