[time-nuts] On choosing reasonable synthesizer PN requirements

bill slade_bill at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:28:02 UTC 2020

Hello Karen,
As a general rule of thumb, if uplink LO phase noise power ends up being
at least 15-20dB below the expected kTB noise received at the satellite
transponder, its contribution is not really significant. With -98dBc-Hz,
on Tx, you should be in good shape because, to simplify things a bit,
Tx SNR at the transmitter far exceeds the SNR at the QO-100 receive
antenna.  Thermal noise from the antenna and receiver LNA will dominate
the received signal noise at the satellite.  It's more important to keep
your Tx frequency stable.  A GPSDO or Rb reference will be useful here.
It's also important to keep the DL 10.45GHz receive on frequency as well
(even more important, given the freq. multiplication up to 10GHz).

On the DL side, antenna temperature and LNA noise should be the dominant
signal degradation factors, so good antenna/LNA G/T is all-important.

Cheers,
Bill