[time-nuts] On choosing reasonable synthesizer PN requirements

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 24 12:03:49 UTC 2020

Hi

The “wiggles” he is chasing are about 2-3 Hz (by eyeball on his charts). At 2.4 GHz,
that is a fairly convenient ~1 ppb. The Z-3801 (if it was in good health) should be easily
able to hold that level of performance. It’s not clear which MD-011 he is using, but it is
a pretty good bet it will also hold that level as well. The usual disclaimers about good
satellite view for the GPSDO’s would of course apply.

Substituting a typical telecom Rb for either device would likely also allow the wiggles
to be observed (or not). That would take out the whole dependence on GPS.

(Yes I realize those comments are probably better directed to those involved ….).

Bob