[time-nuts] On choosing reasonable synthesizer PN requirements

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 12:52:32 UTC 2020

Hi

The “wiggles” he is chasing are about 2-3 Hz (by eyeball on his charts). At
2.4 GHz,
that is a fairly convenient ~1 ppb. The Z-3801 (if it was in good health)
should be easily
able to hold that level of performance. It’s not clear which MD-011 he is
using, but it is
a pretty good bet it will also hold that level as well. The usual
disclaimers about good
satellite view for the GPSDO’s would of course apply.

Substituting a typical telecom Rb for either device would likely also allow
the wiggles
to be observed (or not). That would take out the whole dependence on GPS.

(Yes I realize those comments are probably better directed to those
involved ….).

If you follow his Twitter feed:

  https://twitter.com/ea4gpz

I think it's all but certain that it's the local oscillator in the
satellite-borne transponder is the cause of the problem.  He's looked at an
engineering beacon on the satellite too.  The orbital calculations involved
need to be quite accurate.

I thought it might interest those chasing the ultimate precision!

Probably ought to change the title of this topic, but I'm unsure of the
protocol here about so doing.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu