[time-nuts] On choosing reasonable synthesizer PN requirements

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 24 15:01:24 UTC 2020

Hi

Assuming you know the power level you will be delivering to the sat and the noise figure of the
receiver on the sat, the calculation is just as presented earlier. If the antenna on the sat has gain,
that also gets into this and that.

Using some made up numbers, since I do not have the real ones for this exact system:

You start out with +50 dbm ERP from your antenna.
You have a link loss of 190 db.
The sat antenna has 1 db of gain.

You are delivering 50 - 190 + 1 = -139 dbm to the sat.

If the noise figure of the sat reciever is 3 db, then it’s noise floor is -174 + 3 = -171 dbm

That puts a limit on the uplink signal at 171 - 139 = -32 dbc.

If the noise on your transmitted signal is 32 db down, you will degrade the SNR at the sat by
3 db. ( = they add as power not voltage).

You will need to do some research with Mr Google to come up with the real numbers to plug
into the calculations. They are different for each system design ( your antenna, your erp ….).

Bob