[time-nuts] Vaperware Parts and pulse stretching circuits

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 23:19:24 UTC 2020

Learned Gentlemen,
Several poster wrote:
TAPR offers a FatPPS kit to stretch the pulse out, and it looks likethey're back in stock. I have one but haven't assembled it yet.https://tapr.org/product/fatpps-pulse-stretcher/
 OK no problemo. But it's $55. It's probably a great device, but does this application warrant such expense?
I looked up *pulse stretcher circuits* and found over a dozen inexpensive circuits.

DRV8662and is available from Digikey for $3.35. It is a small-pitch device(0.5mm) but not impossible to solder.

RV-3028 is 3.2x1.5 mm in size, 1.5ppm, additionally trimmable, 45 nAstandby current, under $3 USD in price and in stock at Mouser andDigikey.

Aswonderful as the DS3231 is, there is a newer chip from Micro Crystalthat is smaller, more accurate than the DS3231M, much cheaper, anddraws less power

These three chips fall into the *Vaperware Parts* category. Yes, they are great chips and I don't mind someone posting their advantages.
I believe It is a bit disingenuous to say: *It is a small-pitch device but not impossible to solder*.
Really?  If you've dropped $750 to $1K for a stereo microscope and other specialized soldering equipment then you can probably do it without too much difficulty.  Or some may access to such specialized equipment.
But for us *Po Folks* hobbyist we have to stick with older but larger parts.
Now if there was a service where you could order the part soldered to a breakout board with .1 inch breakout pins for say, $20 then using many of the latest chips would be feasible.  But until then I believe 99.9 percent of us have to find a commercial product or some other workaround.
Regards,
Perrier