[time-nuts] Vaperware Parts and pulse stretching circuits

John Moran, Scawby Design john at scawbydesign.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 14:24:35 UTC 2020

As a few others have pointed out on this thread, there are some simple methods of soldering fine-pitch devices. I use the one already mentioned that can be done with a clunky soldering iron, some solder-wick and a low power desk lamp magnifier. Oh, and some solder.

Hopefully, I have attached an image of an MSP430 micro part-way through this process - the device is a 64 pin 0.5mm pitch device.

Firstly, tack-solder the corners to hold it in position, don't worry about shorts. Then liberally apply solder flux along all rows of pins, I use stuff that comes in a pen applicator. Then using a reasonably large bit (John's 1.6mm is fine) flood solder across all pins, almost certainly soldering them all together - as you can see in the image (hopefully).

Then lay a fresh strip of solder-wick along a whole row of pins and run the soldering iron slowly along the top. You may need to do it twice, with fresh solder wick, but this then sucks up all the surplus solder and leaves a perfectly soldered row of pins.

The whole process takes around five minutes Hal.

Have fun

John