[time-nuts] Vaperware Parts and pulse stretching circuits

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Apr 25 20:04:07 UTC 2020

On Samstag, 25. April 2020 16:24:35 CEST John Moran, Scawby Design wrote:
> As a few others have pointed out on this thread, there are some simple
> methods of soldering fine-pitch devices. I use the one already mentioned
> that can be done with a clunky soldering iron, some solder-wick and a low
> power desk lamp magnifier. Oh, and some solder.

Don't flood that much solder onto the pins, that takes way too much time to
clean up and may be outright impossible to fix on a more densely populated
board.  The "right" way to do that type of work is to apply flux liberally
after having tacked down at least two corners, then steadily drag a blob of
fresh solder along the pins.  The solder blob stays on the iron, it takes just
a little bit of practise to learn the best speed of dragging (too fast and the
solder won't wet the pins, too slow and you get bridging and puddling).  If
you have a little bit of bridging here and there, let the part cool down
before cleaning up.  I never use solder wick for that.  If it's a multi-layer
board with lots of metal you will need to warm it up on a hotplate or with an
hot-air gun set to 120…150°C.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: