[time-nuts] Hetrodyning concept

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 27 12:22:00 UTC 2020

Hi

If you feed two identical signals into a double balanced mixer,
you get 2X the input frequency and a DC component as the “ideal”
outputs. You also have the input feed through and N x the input
bouncing around as “non-ideal” signals. ( = the full expansion has
a *lot* of terms in it).

A normal ( = saturated inputs) diode ring double balanced mixer has
a non-linear transfer function for the DC output. As you shift phase, an ideal
mixer would have a sine wave voltage vs phase plot. A saturated mixer
has something that looks more like a clipped triangle wave as it’s plot.

So, simple answer is that single double balanced mixer does not do
a very good job as a wide range phase detector. It’s great for phase
noise (when properly set up), but not ideal for an unlocked system.

Bob