[time-nuts] Hetrodyning concept

Gary Chatters gcarlistaa at garychatters.com
Mon Apr 27 14:39:09 UTC 2020

Your basic error is that you are adding the two sine wave signals.  Get
that idea out of your head.

When mixing two signals (heterodyne) you multiply them:

         Vout = Asin(2pi*f1*t + p1) * Bsin(2pi*f2*t + p2)
                                    ^-- Multiply, not add
         Where:
           A, B are amplitude
           f1, f1 frequencies
           p1, p2 phase offset

Work out this formula (so you have sum of sines instead of products)
using some trigonometric identities and you'll get your sum and
difference signals.

Javier's earlier email shows you the results for the case for f1 = f2.

Gary
WA9ZZZ