[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter recommendation?

Sam Sjogren wb6rjh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:04:24 UTC 2020

Frank (et.al.),

I've been very happy with my 8-port GPS Networking brand unit.  It's
amplified so you don't incur splitting loss, it supplies 5V to the antenna
from an external DC source while blocking DC from the individual units (but
puts a 200 ohm load on each port so the receivers don't think they have a
broken antenna).

This does not suit your not "too expensive" criteria unless you get lucky
on eBay.  New they're over $1k, I got lucky and obtained one for $100
(including a bunch of Pasternak terminators that by themselves made this a
steal).  Good luck, happy eBay-hunting!

One tip: the units come in various versions that provide different voltages
to the antenna (4.5-15V).  Of course, be sure the unit for sale provides an
appropriate voltage for your antenna, but also:  The wall wart that comes
with it is sufficient for the higher voltages.  The internal regulator is
linear.  So, I cut off the wall wart and put on a PowerPole connector so I
can just connect it to my 12V bus and lowered the power consumption in the
process.

I suppose you might find a unit with incorrect antenna supply voltage but
then just change the internal regulator to one appropriate for your
application.  Might help you find a bargain.

I'm looking for a splitter to allow three or four GPSDO's to share my
roof-mounted Lucent PCTEL KS24019L112C 26db GPS twist antenna.
I understand from scanning past threads that inexpensive splitters by
companies like Mini-Circuits often turn up on eBay, but I'm having
trouble narrowing down to one that will work for my situation. Can
anyone recommend a specific splitter that wouldn't be too expensive?
Thanks much,
Frank

--
73,