[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter recommendation?

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:36:36 UTC 2020

Most of the regular splitters first mentioned are basically transformers
with one side if each winding connected to the case ground so they don’t
work because they short out the 5 VDC on the receiver’s antenna coax. You
have to be aware of the D.C. voltage to power the antenna plus have fake
antenna load resistors on the other ports to prevent error messages.

The cheapest non-powered splitter is probably the F connector Steren 4-way
2.4Ghz splitter made for TV use at $6-$9 each (like eBay # 254474121010).
Their model 201-234 passes 1 port and couples the other  3 ports with
capacitors. I found I could just pry the back cover off the splitter and
solder a 200-330 ohm resistor across each isolated outputs to prevent the
receivers on those ports from giving an open antenna alarm. Those receivers
would still work without the resistors but I couldn’t stand the error
message so I installed the load resistors.

Mini-Circuits has made dedicated GPS splitters that have built-in amps to
compensate for losses and the ones I have work quite well. The 5 port one
has a Lucent part number and was made for Telco use with 2 power ports and
3 isolated ports to which I added 280 ohm resistors. You will find these on
eBay occasionally for far less than the HP versions.  One of my GPS
antennas goes to a WR Incorporated 8-way externally powered splitter with
load resistors built in.

So there are a number of options for GPS splitters but they may not be that
common. However, just today I bought another of the 5 port Mini-Circuits
ones on eBay so they do turn up.

https://oi906.photobucket.com/albums/ac262/rjb1998/GPS%20splitters%202_zpspobtp7cf.jpg

https://oi906.photobucket.com/albums/ac262/rjb1998/GPS%20splitters_zpsbitr26xx.jpg