[time-nuts] GPS location inaccuracies from a cell phone

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Sun Feb 2 17:35:54 UTC 2020

  02/02/2020 17:28

Hopefully not too off topic a question, but GPS experts abound here...

I am running a tracking device server on one of my PC's and an option
is to use an app on a cell phone and the phone acts as a tracking
device. But it shows seemingly random anomalies in position. For
example I walked the dogs around the wood earlier. 99% of the tracking
of the phone is correct, but I see occasional abnormalities where the
track veers off into the distance to a "dead end" where I have
certainly not taken the phone.

Could it be because I am not keeping the phone in a constant
orientation? I do not see such anomalies with a "proper" tracking
device, say in a vehicle? Where the trace veers off I may have been
bending down burning some rubbish. Te phone would have been in the top
pocket of my overalls. Any idea why these anomalies occur please? The
track can be seen at http://www.chriswilson.tv/phone.jpg

Thanks!

--
       Best Regards,