[time-nuts] GPS location inaccuracies from a cell phone

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Feb 2 18:01:36 UTC 2020

Hi

Cell phone GPS is very much a “that depends” sort of thing.

In some cases, the raw data comes to the phone, but the location
processing takes place “in the cloud” somewhere. Loose cell coverage
with this sort of device and you also loose location. This sort of processing
does allow “tower time of arrival” sort of location to be blended in. That
may or may not be a good thing.

With a true GPS in the phone, you next get into antenna location. There
isn’t much space in a phone so where ever it goes will be a compromise.
The main goal of the phone is the cell connection. I’d bet the GPS antenna
very much gets the not quite so good location for it’s antenna.

Cell phones “wake up” on a fairly regular basis. They spew RF for a bit and
then go back to sleep. Depending on how long this goes on for the GPS may
be blocked out (RF overload) for a short bit or for quite a while.

Even with an “ideal” GPS, you have multi-path issues. If not caught and
suppressed they will make the location “jump”. How well this or that chip
set or approach deals with them is variable.

GPS units do have firmware in them. That firmware can and does have
bugs in it. Some are quite reproducible others not so much. Hop on this
road in Montana going that way with my Garmin and you can very
repeatably watch the track wander off by a couple miles. The map data
is correct … the GPS, not so much.

Those are just the first few that come to mind. There are certainly other
issues as well.

Lots of fun

Bob