[time-nuts] Help with BG7TBL 2015-07-08 GPSDO

Patrick Murphy fgdhrtey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 21:10:07 UTC 2020

Well, that was the easiest answer. The issue can also be the interface
settings - baud rate, stop bits, and parity need to match on both sides of
the connection. I suggest you try using something like "putty" to monitor
the port on your PC side. This will allow you to see if there is any data
present at all. It will often display garbage if data is present but port
settings are wrong. It will allow you to play with different settings to
try and find the correct combination.

The greater challenge is if putty shows nothing or refuses to connect. That
can take you back to square one. You had mentioned having a scope to look
at the interface. Hopefully it has the ability to decode data and show what
is going on.

One last notion. Are you certain you have the correct device drivers for
your RS232 interface on the PC? Physical RS232 ports have well established
drivers. Drivers for USB based virtual RS232 ports can be dodgy depending
on the exact hardware you have.

-Pat (KG5YPQ)