[time-nuts] Digital Pots

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Feb 4 13:41:17 UTC 2020

Hi

The great thing about a wire wound pot is that as a voltage divider, it has
a very low temperature coefficient. The problem with adding resistors is
that their temperature coefficient will not match that of the winding material
on the pot. The “value” of the wire wound is lost in this case. You might as well
just run a multi turn cermet pot.

One alternative are the big multi dial voltage dividers you see from time to time
on eBay. Prices (as with anything on eBay) are all over the map. Score some
cheap and you can get a lot of resolution and a lot of stability.

Another alternative would be to grab some “zero drift” op amps. Buffer up a pair of
pots and then drive a thin film network with them. (or spend around $20 each on some
shiny new low TC resistors). Then buffer the sum junction with another op-amp.

If the oscillators are OCXO’s, ground current is going to make problems pretty
quickly. With a common ground pin and voltage changes measured in millivolts,
it limits how well a normal OCXO can be set.

Bob