[time-nuts] eLORAN to turn on next week for a test

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 01:39:05 UTC 2020

I hope we finally light up eLoran and soon not only is it needed for time transfer.   As a pilot there have been way too many GPS outages and the ADS-B peer to peer system is totally dependent upon precision positioning signals from GPS.

It’s unsettling to be doing a GPS approach only to be halfway into it and see ‘GPS Signal Lost’ - system restart.   Now you need to go around and shoot an ILS approach or visual if conditions allow.

Of course most of the GPS outages are csused by truck drivers using GPS jammers.   But the why actually makes no difference GPS is gone and you are on your own.

> On Feb 7, 2020, at 5:57 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello fellow time-nuts. Just found out eLORAN will be on next week or so.
Bringing Wildwood back on air the week of February 17th and then again the
week of March 16th for a demonstration of UTC time synchronization. We’ll
be broadcasting as 8970M and 8970X from Wildwood during those times.
So if you still have gear and want to warm it up for checking frequency
here is your chance.
I already know I need to replace a 20' section of a 164' line of RG6 from a
squirrel attack. Just replaced 140' of a 174' line due to the same for WWVB.
Fortunately thats quite easy to do. Wonder if the pre-amps still good?
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL