[time-nuts] Pressure sensitivity of Rb vapor cell standards

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Tue Feb 18 18:18:47 UTC 2020

Hi,

Let's recall the action of the Rubidium lamp is to optically pump Rb87
to the right state, such that state-transition using the hyper-fine
transition can be observed with good S/N. This is done by excite Rb87
with the two D-lines 780 nm and 795 nm, but then use the Rb85 isotope to
consume the 795 nm transition energy. Further, this also reduces light
on the detector, reducing it's flicker noise.

Since the rubidium lamp transitions is fairly wide and that the Rb87
cell is heated and acceptance is also fairly wide-band, it works out
pretty well.

Maybe I should just take one of my 780 nm diodes and try in the cell
with broken Rb-lamp oscillator, just for fun.

Cheers,
Magnus