[time-nuts] Are there SC-crystals out there in the wild that are not Overtone?

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 23:47:26 UTC 2020

Many crystals possess spurious modes not terribly far from the desired Hi-Q
mode.
Since the spurious mode(s) are lower Q, oscillation on one of these can
build up
faster than oscillation in the desired mode, driving the sustaining
amplifier into
compression before the desired oscillating mode really gets going.  This
will leave
only the fastest-growing mode as the winner.  This is not speculation- I've
seen
it happen.

My point is that just building an oscillator with an unknown crystal has no
assurance
of running where  you really want it to, thus leading you astray.
Discovering all these
modes is a big part of the benefit of studying the crystal with a VNA or
similar instrument
before building anything.  Forewarned is forearmed- you then have a better
chance of
building an oscillator that does what you want it to do.

Dana