[time-nuts] Are there SC-crystals out there in the wild that are not Overtone?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 29 14:31:37 UTC 2020

Hi

As long as we are beating up on the poor old SC for mode issues:

We have an C mode ( = the one that normally gets used in a precision oscillator)

We have a B mode ( = the “thermometer” mode that gets used in some MCXO’s)

Hmmm …. why did they start with B … hmmm ….

Well yes indeed there *is* an A mode. For a given overtone it’s *above* the B mode.
Exactly why they are lettered high to low … at least they are in order.

Page 3-15 in:

Quartz Resonator & Oscillator Tutorial - Time and Frequency ...tf.nist.gov › sim › 2010_Seminar › vig3 <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiYxa7Z-vbnAhWJlnIEHaTSCAkQFjABegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftf.nist.gov%2Fsim%2F2010_Seminar%2Fvig3.ppt&usg=AOvVaw0LXXz8jKe0sNHtk3Cj18ok>

Gives a nice plot of how it fits in. Why mention it? Well it’s the answer to the next up
question “why is the oscillator passband so tight?” ( = you have to kill a very close mode just above
the 3rd OT C mode and a closer than you would think mode below it).

Bob