[time-nuts] 10811 performance

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 5 19:09:04 UTC 2020

Hi

The simple answer is that a ~ $100 Chinese GPSDO and a ~ $20 MiniCircuits power splitter
(all off of eBay) should be able to drive a couple of counters and a few other pieces of gear.

If they are all “power on” when the bench is in use, daisy chain from the “important” stuff to
the less accurate gear is fine. Indeed this adds to the maintenance checks while reducing the
cost of the distribution hardware. ( = no free lunch).

For normal lab use, the GPSDO output will do fine and it will be more accurate than normal
bench gear. There’s also the “cool kid” factor :). The 10 MHz output can be provided for members
to cal their gear against.

One advantage of the GPSDO approach is that the rest of the bench can be fully shut down
when nobody is around. A simple timer could do the job without anybody needing to remember
this or that switch.

The power savings from shutting the bench down fully will easily pay for the GPSDO in under
a year …..

Bob