[time-nuts] 10811 performance

Robert DiRosario ka3zyx at comcast.net
Sun Jan 5 18:29:58 UTC 2020

I'm back, sorry for the delayed response.

My understands is in the HP 5340A counter (all HP counters?) the 10544
or 10811 always has  power, regardless  of the power switch, as long as
it is plugged in.  Everything at our work bench is always plugged in.

History
We (the radio club) have three HP 5340A counters, two 5345A counters and
an HP 106B.  We took one of the 5340As and the 106B to the building with
the Cs standard in a minivan with a 12V to 120V inverter.  The 106B had
a good battery pack, but it was still powered with the inverter.  The
first test was to put 10 MHz from the Cs standard into the counter, and
it read 10000000. MHz.  We moved on to plan B, we put the output of the
OCXO into a counter what was driven by the Cs standard.  The error was
less then 0.1 Hz.  We made a little change to the 10811 and moved on to
the 106.  The error on the 5 MHz output was again less than 0.1 Hz, we
made a small change to it.  We ate our lunch and moved the counter cable
back and forth between the 5340A and 106B and watched them. They both
stabilized.  20 years latter, I don't recall what the final error was.
It was much better than any piece of ham gear anyone would have.

In 2011 the club got relocated to three mobile home trailers. They have
HVAC wall-packs, so we have Heat and AC 24/7 year-round.
Before the move the HVAC in the one room building that housed our work
bench and VHF station stopped working.  The 106 also stopped working.  I
started looking at a GPSDO after the move.  I picked up some 10811s and
Navman Jupiter TU modules with 10 KHz output, but other projects came
along and I lost interest in this.

Today:
This fall at a hamfest I got a working TrueTime XL-DC with antenna and
feedline for $45, it has 1 ppp and IRIG-B, but no 10 MHz output.  This
restarted my interest in this project.  Then I got some complaints from
other club members that our HP Modulation Analyzer was both off
frequency and the deviation measurement it was giving was also wrong.

The first goal is to have fun and learn something new.

At the club we  have 3 5340As (18 GHz), the 53131A (225 MHz), a pair of
5435As that don't work, and the 106B that doesn't work.
The goal is to have a calibrated standard to drive all of our test
equipment.  It should be accurate and precise enough to allow club
members to calibrate their own equipment.  That would point to a GPSDO.
A 10811 for start, the 106 if I can fix it.

At home I have several HP counters, 5340A (18 GHz), 5341A (4.5 GHz),
5385A (1 GHz), 5386A (3 GHz) and a 5334B (100 MHz, dual channel, sill do
TI), but none are calibrated.  I have a NI HPIB card I need to get
working.  I have a HP Z3801A that I need to get a power supply for.  I
have several 10811s, a pair of 105Bs, a Trimble 57963 board, and the
simple complete Trimble 57963 system.  I also have a Brooks Shera board
that is built, I have some connectors for it on the way.

I have a full set of time-nut toys to play with!  My view is I have no
known working primary standards yet, so I'm starting from scratch.
I need to compare the Trimble GPSDO to something else.  The Z3801A or
Brooks Shera's board controlling a 10811 or one of the 105Bs.

Thanks

Robert