[time-nuts] signal transit time through WWV receiver

GERRY ASHTON ashtongj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 19:08:34 UTC 2020

I am aware that WWV signals are intended to reflect the correct time at the instant the signal leaves WWV's antenna. It's up to me to allow for propagation through air and space to my antenna, and transit through my receiver. With newer direct-sampling receivers, the processing time in the receiver's computer circuitry may greater than we are accustomed to.

Are there any simple tricks to measuring the transit time. My thought is to create a pulsed 10 MHz source, with AM modulation when the signal is on, and compare a path directly into one channel of an oscilloscope with the audio output of the receiver feeding into the other channel. Any easier or better suggestions? My test equipment is much more limited than many other members of this list.