[time-nuts] u-Blox ZED-F9T block diagram or timing knowledge available here?

Tim S tim.strommen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 01:56:08 UTC 2020

Hi, first time poster, just getting into the time rabbit-hole.

    I'm looking at building my own 10MHz double-oven + Rubidium standard
for home-lab use, and I wanted to investigate GPS disciplining.  I read
some remarkable work using Jupiter engines and a simple N/1000 and PLL, but
with those receivers becoming much more outdated and higher precision GPS
receivers now fairly cheap - I thought I'd try something new from uBlox to
not repeat prior efforts.  I've gone all through every resource I can find
online and on the uBlox forums, but there is a general lack of public
information about the time and clock features of the u-Blox F9 engine.

    Suffice it to say, there is a section in the integration manual where
they elude the 1PPS signal is set to the closest one of 1023 edges - which
seems to suggest a possible sawtooth phase noise creation.  Talking with a
person "clive1" on the uBlox forum it sounds like the internal GPS engine
>>MAY<< now running at 384MHz there sounds like a possibility to align a
1PPS edge to a much finer resolution clock which is closer tied to the GPS
solution and thus less digital divider phase noise might be possible.

    Does it sound like I'm way out in left field here?  Anyone have the
luxury of more insight into the construction of the uBlox F9 GPS engine?  I
don't mind spending a few grand on some factory new components to get a
decent 10MHz standard, but I'm less interested in doing so if I'm not going
to understand what's going on inside.

Thanks in advance for responses,

-Tim Strommen