[time-nuts] Odd-order multiplication of CMOS-output OCXO

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Mon Jan 20 01:30:09 UTC 2020

Gerhard wrote:

> The idea was just to measure 1/f noise on my AF and RF transistors
> in a circuit inspired by that in Art Of Electronics V3.
>
> Good book. Must have.

Absolutely right.  But most electronics amateurs don't seem to want to
spend the money for what is arguably the most important tool available
to improve their understanding.  In my view, Chapter 8 alone ("Noise")
is worth the price all by itself ($80 at Amazon).

Speaking of price, I see Springer has a newish English edition of Tietze
& Schenk for over $900!!  I like my 1991 English edition just fine, but
for >$900 I expect it to actually build prototypes of the circuits it
shows!!  [Generally speaking, H&H is a better learning resource, IMO.
To call T&S a "cookbook" is an unwarranted put-down, but it is organized
more or less along those lines though with much additional explanation.
  I see it more as a reference and refresher for those who already know
the material ("I seem to recall seeing a circuit that would do what I
need...") rather than getting students up the hump of the learning curve
in the first instance.]

For anyone who doesn't know yet, the long-awaited Horowitz & Hill "X
Chapters" is on pre-order now at Amazon ($54), expected to ship around
the end of January:

<https://www.amazon.com/dp/1108499945>

I have seen some of it, and as I expected, it is another must-have.

Best regards,

Charles