[time-nuts] Odd-order multiplication of CMOS-output OCXO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 20 20:25:00 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Jan 20, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Mark Haun <mark at hau.nz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:22:41 -0500
> Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2020, at 1:36 PM, Mark Haun <mark at hau.nz> wrote:
>>> The VFOV405 datasheet lists typical phase noise for 10- and 100-MHz
>>> units.  (Mine are 16.384 MHz.)  In comparing the two oscillators, I
>>> have used the 100-MHz "typical" numbers which they both state:
>>
>> So taking the 14 db from multiplication into account:
>>

>> 		VFO405		ABLNO
>>
>> 1K 		-126			-141
>> 10K		-146			-160
>> 100K	-149			-161
>>
>> Looking at the plots on the ABLNO data sheets, the wide band noise
>> gets down a bit below -161 on a “typical” basis.
>>
>> Locking an 80 MHz ABLNO to 16.384 is not going to be as easy as
>> locking one to 16.000. Getting an ABLNO with an EFC at 16.384 x 5 may
>> be a bit of a challenge.
>
> Agree except you were starting from the VFOV numbers for the 100-MHz
> version.  If you use their numbers for the 10-MHz version and add 20 dB
> for an ideal 10x multiplication, for comparing with the ABLNO spec at
> 100 MHz, you end up with
>
> offset    VFOV405 @ 10M, ideal 10x multiply     ABLNO @ 100 M
> 10        -100                                  -88
> 100       -120                                  -118
> 1k        -140                                  -141
> 10k       -145                                  -160
> 100k      -145                                  -161

If indeed -145 is “good enough” then you have moved out of the “good phase noise”
region into fairly generic sort of specs. A “couple of dollar” oscillator will give you -145
sort of noise floors.

The value of 12 db at 10 Hz offset is going to be pretty limited unless the application
is very unusual.

Bob