[time-nuts] Odd-order multiplication of CMOS-output OCXO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 20 22:31:51 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Jan 20, 2020, at 5:16 PM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/20/20 1:57 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>
>> And then there ia third way, which is IMHO even better:
>> Your application is an SDR system, i.e. you already need some
>> signal processing for the system to work. Why not extend this
>> to use it for the reference as well? Add another ADC and feed
>> the reference signal to that, then track the phase/frequency
>> relation between the sampling clock and the reference and
>> compensate any drift in the signal path. This way you get to
>> disable the reference if it is not needed and save a lot of power
>> and at the same time are able to use references with any frequency
>> and can change the "loop frequency" freely without the need to
>> worry about PLL stability or tempco of filters in the multiplier
>> version.
>
> This ...
>
> This is the way of the future.  The problem is that there are enough legacy systems out there where you need "control" vs "knowledge"
>
> And, in the SDR world: while theoretically, you can do this in software, a lot of times the software is either a black box, or incomprehensible in finite time, or architected in a way that makes it hard, that it's actually faster and easier to discipline the reference oscillator than to fix the software.

If your “reference” is a 10 MHz OCXO, that may well come down on top / very near something you might want to
receive. Having seen what WWV uses as an exciter … indeed their noise “as transmitted” is pretty darn good.

If the reference is 16.384 …. hmmm …. maybe not so much. I can’t think of much around there worth tuning in to.
Simply feeding the OCXO (at a very low level) into a single ADC might well do the trick. ( yes, you have a number
of things to dig into, it’s not quite the slam dunk I’m making it out to be).

Bob