[time-nuts] Symmetricom 023-63008-07 5MHz Crystal Oscillators

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 23 03:06:13 UTC 2020

Hi

One interesting thing to do with good / cheap OCXO’s:

If you multiply an OCXO from 5 to 10 MHz, noise goes up by 6 db.
If you mix two independent 5 MHz OCXO’s to get 10 MHz, phase noise goes up by 3 db.

The same thing happens with ADEV, multiply has no impact. Mixing *should* only get you
sqrt(2) of the original ADEV.  ( This assumes the ADEV is not coming from a common source
like temperature …..)

Indeed you could go crazy with hundreds of OCXO’s. Practical setups might run 2, 4,  or 8
devices. If indeed they are 20 to $30 sort of parts, four get you somewhere around $100 for
the OCXO’s. Mixers / filters / pc boards might double the total cost.

Mixing 4 would cut the ADEV by two and drop phase noise by 6 db compared to a multiply.
If you had an ideal divider, you could indeed get 6 db better noise at the original frequency.

Compared to chasing “unobtanium” grade OCXO’s this could get you low parts in 10^-13 without
spending years loosing out on kilo-buck level auctions. ( …. and possibly getting one that
does not work ….).

Taking the plotted data, you might hit 2x10^-13 at 10 seconds with 4 or 8 OCXO’s. Would you
break 3x10^-13 at 1 second? Only way to know is to try it :)

Indeed, there are a variety of ways to do the combination. Each has it’s benefits ….

Bob