[time-nuts] digital pots Part 2

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 30 02:27:01 UTC 2020

Hi

The advantage a wire wound pot has is that all the wire is (nearly) the same temperature coefficient.
This ~$15 Bourns part:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/3590S-2-103L/3590S-2-103L-ND/1088586 <https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/3590S-2-103L/3590S-2-103L-ND/1088586>

(Buy 10 at a time and they go down to $13.25 each. )

Has a rated tempco of 50 ppm / C. That’s without taking any matching into account. With the matching
you probably are sub 1 ppm/C.

The DS1804 has a “typical” temperature coefficient of 750 ppm / C. (from page 5 in the data sheet).
Unfortunately there is no reason to believe that all the “bits” have the same tempco. Indeed there are
good reasons to believe they vary more than a bit. You would be doing well with a heater that drops that
to an effective 75 ppm / C.

A 10 turn pot is ground isolated. There are no side effects from power and ground connections. Never
underrate the value of isolation.

Bob