[time-nuts] digital pots Part 2

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Jan 31 05:14:55 UTC 2020

Helipots are wonderful, old-school parts that are hard to beat - except
for being quite expensive (but, they always were, relatively). As others
have mentioned, there are many advantages of these over digital ones,
for manually-adjusted functions.

I would never use anything but a wirewound pot for manual fine tuning of
LF/DC high precision circuits. For me, it's a no-brainer though, since I
have lots and lots of helipots and WW trimmers, salvaged over many years.

They are expensive new, but it seems to me there should be plenty of
salvaged or NOS for much less. If you just need an adjustment, it's
pretty straightforward, with a spinning knob. If you want some sort of
indicator, then also consider available dials, which can show show
relative rotation to ten to twenty turns or so, with drum or clock-type
readout, or even mechanical-digital (odometer style), and other
variations - some dials may cost more than the pot.

I think the typical, most common and useful resistance value for
helipots is around 5-50 k. As you go down in resistance, the mechanical
resolution gets worse, because bigger manganin wire is needed to form
the resistor. As you go up in resistance (I think around 100-500 k is
typically the highest available), the resolution gets better, but the
net source resistance of the wiper and noise go up.

Another option may be to use WW multi-turn trimmer pots, if the
adjustment needed is more like an occasional tweak with a screwdriver
rather than a knob or dial. These are available up to twenty turns or
so, and can be in board- or panel-mount styles. They likely are a lot
cheaper than full-sized pots, but with lesser performance TC and power
rating.

Ed