[time-nuts] Time-Nutters-- Adding Rubidium to a Thunderbolt...?

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 15:09:36 UTC 2020

Hi....
I'm doing it.  I've taken PRS-10 which has PPS IN feature and fed it with PPS from Trimble.  It is still work in progress but the mechanism works.  Time constant of the PRS-10 is set to very long time (8 hours?) from factory when signal is present on PPS-10.

Problem I'm encountering is that I get precise time by the nature of Trimble but Adev worsens.  This is because PPS of T-bolt has more jitter than stability of PRS-10 itself.  While PRS-10 is still providing stable signal, T-bolt pushes and pulls. Also, lock is achieved in few minutes but to truly synchronize, it takes weeks.  It contradicts what I just said but push and pull is more like a nudge, so initial synchronization takes forever.
PPS IN pin on PRS-10 is dual purpose.  You must make sure a jumper is set correctly, or it won't work.  My finding is that PPS from GPSDO works much better than just GPS, and this is because raw PPS from JUST GPS does not enjoy pre-processing.  GPSDO's PPS is regenerated by steered signal, and not direct from satellites.
It is an interesting experiment.  Getting it to work was easy.  Getting it to work well, I'm still working on it.

(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG