[time-nuts] New Subscriber, DIY GPSDO project (yes, another one)

Tobias Pluess tpluess at ieee.org
Sat Mar 7 14:35:22 UTC 2020

Hi,
I am sure it is theoretically possible to find an optimal control loop
design if you have accurate models of the OCXO and for the behaviour of the
1PPS pulse.
TvB has written a GPSDO simulator which allows to code different PLL and
control algorithms. I have implemented something similar in Matlab.
Basically, if you know the VCO tuning characteristics and the phase
detector constant, then you can use procedures as described in the PLL
books that are out there (I have ond from R. Best).

But I agree that it is perhaps a very difficult problem -  you cannot
simply try out different algorithms because each time it takes days to wait
until everything has settled and stabilised, then you need to record that
data etc.

Maybe the easiest way is indeed using the GPSDO simulator.
If there is some interest, I could perhaps post my Matlab code. It plots
nicely the calculated EFC voltage and simumates the OCXOs frequency
variation as the EFC is varied.

Best
Tobias
HB9FSX