[time-nuts] New Subscriber, DIY GPSDO project (yes, another one)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Mar 8 15:51:27 UTC 2020

--------
In message <7F4F318C-D220-41FF-A26F-282581DE3FE8 at n1k.org>, Bob kb8tq writes:

>This all comes back to *having* the ADEV / HDEV / Phase Noise data
>on your steered device and GPS to work from. In a lot of cases, people
>do not have that information ….. They are looking for a procedure to
>truly do this “blind”.

Right.

So you do not need to be very exact about where you think the
"allan-intercept" is for my method to work, within an order of
magnitude is generally OK, and if you wanted to, you could
add a third loop around the PI autotuning to try to optimize it
over a couple of years.

However, I am pretty certain that we can do better (and faster!)
than that, by tuning until we get the right PDF shape for the
zero-crossing intervals, if only we know what it should be.

My math skills have not been sufficient to derive that.