[time-nuts] 5061A Insufficient Cs Beam Current Modulation (long)

Michael Ulbrich mul at rentapacs.de
Sun Mar 8 23:43:28 UTC 2020

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for your advice!

I hadn't looked into the c-field adjustment yet, since I considered this
to be the final touch on an otherwise correctly functioning and well
aligned instrument. Question is whether this 5061A can ever be brought
back near that target. If so, there's still some way to go, I guess ... ;-)

Tried the c-field adjustment nonetheless and it worked out as expected.
Found three peaks over the tuning range of the c-field dial and set to
highest middle peak. At 6.1 the dial reads a bit outside the expected
range of 4.0 to 6.0, but that shouldn't be something to worry about.

Basic situation didn't change any: No 274 Hz signal and tiny 137 Hz
signal mostly buried in noise from the AC amplifier with gain HI and
loop gain nearly at full cw. Instrument somehow tracks phase but control
reading tends to wander, no lock, no stable operation.

Will post my findings if I make any progress.

Best regards ... Michael U.