[time-nuts] How the West is Losing the Timing and Navigation War

Kevin Rowett kevin at rowett.org
Mon Mar 9 03:51:25 UTC 2020

> Additionally, all airports that offer GPS/Galileo for landing assist
> (as far as I am aware of, there is no airport that allowes GPS/Galileo
> only based landing) have signal quality monitoring and reporting. In
> case the GPS/Galileo signal deviates from what it should be, either
> by being jammed (which happens quite often btw) or by being spoofed,
> it signals all air planes that they should disregard the GNSS signals.
> I have heard of similar systems used at some harbors.

GPS gets “clobbered” at North American airports, occasionally.  It complicates the landing approach, but, pilots train for that scenario.

There are companies that offer GPS jammers, that truckers are known to use.  I know of one case, where GPS was jammed for many months at a airport.  The source was never found, but, a truck rental agency was right under the runway approach.  The USA FCC has a tiger team to track down GPS jamming for airports.

KR