[time-nuts] Modern Rb atomic reference vs classic Cs

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 14 18:23:28 UTC 2020

Paul and Bob are my valuable mentors, and I trust their opinion.
I do have an old working Cs but my go-to are GPSDO.  For most part, it's more than sufficient.  I also have ex-telecom Rb.  There aren't too many things one of them can't do, except for measuring themselves.  In my lab, the "lab standard" is GPSDO and backup is Rb.
At a hobby level, one of the big issue (at least to me) is power consumption, and the heat they generate.  My lab gets significantly warm.  Plus, instant availability of GPSDO and Rb (because they are always on) is hard to beat.  To save Cs, I only turn on mine when needed, then wait for 2 days.
To be honest, I'd love to have an HP5071A with warranty.  But it's far beyond affordable range for me.  Also, a "standard" I can't trust isn't a standard.  I am not good enough to properly care for Cs and I don't have good enough measuring system.  It takes a lot to keep Cs happy and usable in many ways.
Signed, on laziest ham.

(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG