[time-nuts] Modern Rb atomic reference vs classic Cs

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Mar 14 18:50:45 UTC 2020

Hi

Used Cs standards show up for a wide range of prices. Sometimes that $50
hamfest acquisition *does* turn out to be a working device. For most of us, most
of the time eBay is the source and you pay the “market price” there. Even there,
figuring out what that price *is* can be a chore.

Best guess is that you are unlikely to get a working unit for less than $1,500
delivered. There are a lot of listings at 2X to 5X that price level. Most of those
listings do not provide a lot of “hope” for the device being in working condition.
There are also a lot of listings below that price point for what appear to be gutted
chassis.( = no hope at all). You could easily go through more than one purchase
before you get a unit that is still reasonably close to working a year or two later.

There are brand new instruments like the FS 740 or FS 752 that are “in the same
ballpark” as far as cost. (assuming you don’t get lucky first time). They come with
nice things like warranties. Power, size, and feature wise they are pretty competitive
compared to the eBay 506.

Is any GPSDO “as good as” a 5071 with a high performance tube in it in all respects?
No, of course not. There will *always* be things the GPSDO falls behind on. There
are also standards running around places like NIST that do some things better
than a 5071 with the fancy tube.

A brand new 5071 with that tube appears to be over $90,000 these days. Based on
running one for a lot of years, After about 6 years of operation, you will be sending
it back for a new tube. By the time the unit is back in your lab, the refit will cost
roughly half the price the whole unit cost new …. gulp …..

Lots to think about ……

Bob