[time-nuts] Noise Floor

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Mar 24 17:37:55 UTC 2020

Hi

Since the unit is still in warranty, I’m a bit hesitant to crack it open and start
poking around :).

While it’s not 100% obvious, the ADC clock comes out the back and then
returns to the unit via a SMA jumper. At least in theory you *could* supply
your own clock to the unit. How well that would work …. no idea.

The internal ADC clock also is under program control !! You can move it around
from TimeLab if you think you might have a spur issue. Pretty neat feature.
I always wondered what I’d do if I had to test something that had a harmonic
at / near the clock in the TimePod. I never had a problem so it’s very much
a “who knows?” sort of thing to me.

ADC wise, there are at least 4 channels into the device. You can do a four
device cross comparison. How well that works … no idea. Fiddling with it
*is* on the list.

Isolation channel to channel is very good. I had issues early on with (phrase
edited out) cables and questionable fixture wring. Channel to channel isolation
issues inside the box… not so much. At 10 MHz it was below the noise (at -130
dbc) when I last looked.

The three corner hat math works, but with the “normal” limitations. Comparing
one ultra stable device (say a 5065a)  to two not so stable parts (say a pair of
10811’s at 10K seconds) can result in strange plots.  Not the fault of the device
(what ever you are using). It’s the limitation of the math involved. When one
is “decades” more stable it falls apart.

Just as with the good old 3048 ( and the TimePod), you can edit the FFT
segment table. If you are after spurs in a specific region or have other application
specific needs, that’s a nice feature. It’s one thing  that kept the 3048’s going long
after newer gear had mostly replaced them.

Lots of fun !!!!

Bob