[time-nuts] Noise Floor

kb8tq at n1k.org kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Mar 24 21:57:48 UTC 2020

Hi

Another way to check what your measurement system is doing is to
compare two similar devices. Your guess is then that the floor must be
well below the combination of the two devices. As the difference in the
ADEV and Mod ADEV plots shows, you also need to stick with one xDEV
as you look at this or that.

So, what does the ADEV plot actually show?

It's comparing device Rb 1 (the famous 5065C) to a random eBay 5065
that has taken some significant effort to get running. (So much for
guaranteed
good / working ....).

The plot shows that at a given point the noise contribution of Rb 1 plus
the noise of Rb 2 plus the noise floor of the system is some magic number.
Assuming these are all random noise, then normal noise power math
applies. (two equal signals bump the total by 3db).

When would normal "noise math" not apply? If the noise was something like
a correlated spur (think 60Hz in the US) it could easily add as a voltage
rather
than a power. Knowing *what* you are measuring impacts how you interpret
the results.

The normal setup for a testing bench normally includes a *lot* of A to B
comparisons between a *lot* of sources to find "the best of the best of the
best".  This is true even if one will ultimately use three corner hat
methods.
That stuff goes much better with sources that are fairly close to each
other.

Lots of grubby details *do* get into this. A fixture that "only" has 110 db
isolation
gives you a nasty spur at the offset frequency between your OCXO's. It
messes
up the phase noise and ADEV. Figuring out what this or that is and where it
comes
from is not a trivial task.  Despite not being a lot of fun, it *is* part of
setting this
stuff up.

Bob