[time-nuts] Noise Floor

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 18:26:21 UTC 2020

According to the datasheet, AD8007's absolute max is 12.5V.  It's a bit scary to go to 12V.  I was able to reduce the gain to zero dB, and get a clean and respectable 11.5dBm output.  With this, I'm perfectly happy.  I would experiment with other changes if I had a meaningful way to measure its impact, but I do not.
Thanks for your advice!

---------------------------------------
(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG

Bob wrote:
>> Maybe there's some noise in those resistors
>> Well..... maybe not so much.
 >>
>> If you drive this board so it has a couple db more output, it goes into clipping. When that happens .... yuck.
 >> Noise and ADEV both are massively impacted.
>> You very much do *not* want to overdrive this board.  *  *  *
>> I would stick with 12 dbm or less

You can buy some headroom by raising the supply voltage.  There is an
on-card LM78L09 9v voltage regulator (U902) that can safely be raised to
12v (LM78L12).  This will get you cleanly to and a bit past the
traditional +13 dBm (1v rms) standard reference level.  Of course, you
will need to make sure the raw supply voltage is >15v.

As to noise, the 200 ohm resistor on the opamp's noninverting input
(R901) accounts for nearly 6dB of the amplifier noise (assuming an
effective source impedance of 50 ohms).  Reducing this to, say, 33 ohms
will lower the noise floor a few dB.

Finally, the state of CFB video amplifier development has advanced
dramatically in the 20 years since the AD8007 was introduced.  New
amplifiers with supply voltage ratings up to 36v are available (allowing
about 10dB greater headroom than the 8007), and many of the newer opamps
clip much more gracefully than the 8007 when you do hit the limit (but
you really want not to do that in any measurement application).

Many of these new CFB amplifiers have been discussed here on the list,
and each has its own fans.  One I like that doesn't get mentioned much
is the LME49713.  It is discontinued, but still available from Rochester
Electronics and others.  But there are lots of good choices.

Best regards,

Charles