[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter recommendation?

Robert DiRosario ka3zyx at comcast.net
Fri May 1 02:52:44 UTC 2020

I just went on ebay.  I got one of the 8 port units with 5V antenna
power supply and 11 db amp, there is still one left $175.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-SOURCE-S18-A11-P110-5-GPS-1x8-WAY-SPLITTER-DEVICE-LOOK-REF-233G/193397441449?hash=item2d0762c3a9:g:PQIAAOSw0eNdDSLi

Here it is in the catalog at $1064. !!!!  $175 used looks like a very
good price!

https://www.gpssource.com/products/s18-1x8-standard-gps-splitter?variant=10811989699

Here is a passive 4 port for $100.00 (9 available)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Source-1x4-Stamdard-Amplified-Splitter-S14-S14S-E-SF/401835679864?hash=item5d8f45e078:g:pkYAAOSwfe5dRKrq

And this seller also has a active 4 port, also for $100. (1 available)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Source-1x4-Standard-Amplified-Splitter-S14-S14S-A-E-HS-SF/401835678023?hash=item5d8f45d947:g:zOcAAOSwcyNdRKns

And this one has a 4 port passive for $80
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Source-1x4-4-Way-Splitter-Slimline-PN-S14S-SF/124166494822?hash=item1ce8e65a66:g:aPkAAOSwXZBepQkG

A couple in Israel also show up.

I just did a search on "gps source".
Someone has a 10 dB GPS attenuator for $100.  At 1.5 GHz some RG-58 will
do that for a lot less money!! :-)

Robert

On 04/30/2020 04:13 AM, Larry McDavid wrote:
> Frank, I'm using a GPS Source S14WI 4-way GPS splitter. Mine has  > options for 20 dB amplification, Bias Select (how power is passed >
back to the antenna), Antenna Monitor and N Female connectors. These >
are very rugged, sealed units. They turn up on eBay from time to > time;
I was fortunate to find several offered as New Old Stock. I > will
attach (I hope) a data sheet. > > Any splitter without amplification
will have reduced antenna signal > to each output. If you will have a
long coax run from the antenna to > the splitter as I do, use of an
amplified spiltter will prevent > further loss within the splitter. > >
I also have a Symmetricon 58517A 8-way GPS splitter. This model has a >
unity gain amplifier ahead of the splitter so the gain to each output >
is specified as ±4 dB. A data sheet is attached. These also turn up > on
eBay. > > Passive splitters offered on eBay are sometimes not GPS
splitters but > passive satellite TV splitters. If the price is low,
suspect a > satellite TV splitter. These also typically have poor
isolation > port-to-port. > > My GPS antenna is located atop my roof, in
the clear with > horizon-to-horizon view and fed with 5/8-inch Heliax
flexible hard > line down to the splitter. > > Four-way splitters are
likely most common, with 8-way next. I've > never seen a 3-way splitter.
 > > Larry > > On 4/29/2020 5:18 PM, Frank O'Donnell wrote: >> I'm
looking for a splitter to allow three or four GPSDO's to share >> my
roof-mounted Lucent PCTEL KS24019L112C 26db GPS twist antenna. >> >> I
understand from scanning past threads that inexpensive splitters >> by
companies like Mini-Circuits often turn up on eBay, but I'm >> having
trouble narrowing down to one that will work for my >> situation. Can
anyone recommend a specific splitter that wouldn't >> be too expensive?