[time-nuts] power supplies

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 1 18:51:42 UTC 2020

What with telework, I'm doing more timenuts-ey stuff at home, and the
power supply conundrum has come up.

There's a plethora of interesting widgets scattered across my bench
requiring variously, 5V, 8V, 12V, and 15V.

I've got a box full of various fixed voltage supplies, mostly linear,
picked up over the years.
I suppose I can package a bunch of those up in a bigger box with banana
jacks or binding posts.

And then there's some things where you'd like current limiting and/or
variable voltage.

So I've started looking at inexpensive bench power supplies - there
appear to be dozens, if not hundreds, of these available.  There must be
dozens that are all very similar - They're switchers for the most part,
displays, etc. for $50-100, from different vendors, all similar.

Are they essentially commodity? Or are there particular brands that are
good or bad?

Are they all noisy?

Weird UI problems (7 menu layers with a single knob)?